Monday, November 21, 2016

My Life Of Music Obsession: 1984

At age 4 the music I listened to was an extension of what I had discovered at age 3. This playlist isn't quite as big as the 1983 playlist but there are some great tunes to be heard here. 

Check out the companion playlist: Spotify, YouTube, iTunes



On to the playlist:


1. Blue Oyster Cult - Burnin' For You - This song was released in 1981. I discovered the video on MTV in 1984. It was my first exposure to the NYC based band. I didn't fully discover the rest of their music until 1996, but this song was a great catalyst to making me check out their other stuff 12 years later.

2. Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls.

3. Nena - 99 Luftballons - I never quite understood why the German version of this song was always much bigger than the English version, but it's great.

4. Tina Turner - What's Love Got To Do With It.

5. Kenny Loggins - Footloose - Kenny Loggins seemed to be the go to guy to record theme songs for movies in the early 1980's. I remember the first time a relative played me the Footloose soundtrack. I was in love. I didn't see the actual movie until later in life.

6.Deniece Williams - Let's Hear It For The Boy.

7. Mike Reno and Ann Wilson - Almost Paradise.

8. Van Halen - Jump.

9. Van Halen - Panama.

10. The Pointer Sisters - I'm So Excited.

11. The Pointer Sisters - Jump (For My Love).

12. Ray Parker Jr. - Ghostbusters - I didn't actually see Ghostbusters until 2 years after it was released but I did get the soundtrack for my 4th Birthday. This song is so catchy. I think this is the first song to sample another musicians work. Listen to "I Want A New Drug" by Huey Lewis and the News and then listen to this. Tell me what you think.

13. Bruce Springsteen - Glory Days - This is where my love of The Boss's work had started. This is a great song about reminiscing about the past. Something I'm doing right now with this blog.

14. Bruce Springsteen - Born In The U.S.A.

15. Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark - I can't listen to this song anymore without laughing hysterically after watching Adam Sandler's SNL impression of Springsteen.

16. Ratt - Round and Round - This song has an amazing pop sensibility with tough guy attitude. I remember the Video on MTV which featured Milton Berle in it. It's very funny. Van Halen, Quiet Riot, and Ratt set the wheels in motion for a lot of starving bands in Los Angeles's Sunset Strip to find fame in the 1980's by wearing spandex, make-up, and playing heavy metal with pop hooks.

17. Lionel Richie - All Night Long (All Night).

18. "Weird Al" Yankovic - Eat It - This was my first exposure to "Weird Al" and his fun musical parodies or what famous radio DJ, Dr. Demento coined as "Novelty Songs." I've always loved Weird Al's sense of humor. This parody of Michael Jackson's "Beat It" is a fine example of that humor.

Coming Soon...My Life Of Music Obsession: 1985.


Check out my other blog posts by clicking here.


No comments:

Post a Comment