Sunday, February 26, 2017

My Life Of Music Obsession: AC/DC

I didn't discover AC/DC until age 6, and I never really dug that deeply into their catalog until my late 20's. When epic records reissued their catalog in the 2000's I bought every single album. It is the smartest musical purchase I've ever made in my life. Up until that point I would tell people that 311 is my favorite band. That was until I listened to all the AC/DC albums, and I instantly had a new favorite band.

I love the no holds barred approach to their songwriting. With AC/DC you know exactly what you're getting. Nothing More and Nothing Less. Just straight forward Rock N' Roll.

I think they are the greatest Rock N' Roll band of all time. It's an opinion that I'm sticking to, and I hope to persuade those of you who check out the companion playlist I've provided.

I had a chance to catch them live this past September with Axl Rose fronting the band. They are the loudest band I have ever seen live. They were so loud in fact that I couldn't make it all the way through the concert. I think if I had seen them at an outdoor venue vs. an indoor venue I would have made it the full way through, but there were other circumstances going on in my personal life at the time as well that made it darn near impossible to enjoy anything. I'm hoping for an AC/DC do-over in the future.

Check Out The Companion Playlist: Spotify, YouTube, iTunes.

On to the playlist:

1. Jailbreak.

2. Baby, Please Don't Go. - This is their cover of the Big Joe Williams song. I think the AC/DC and John Lee Hooker versions are the two best. They really capture the spirit of the song.

3. T.N.T. - I'm Dynamite.

4. Live Wire.

5. It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock N' Roll). - This song has bagpipes in it.

6. School Days. - This is their cover of the Chuck Berry classic. If you watch guitarist Angus Young on stage he borrowed a lot of his moves and his style of playing from Chuck Berry.

7. High Voltage.

8. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. 

9. Big Balls. - This song is both dirty and silly.

10. Problem Child.

11. Ride On.

12. Crabsody in Blue.

13. Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be (Live From The Atlantic Studios).

14. Let There Be Rock. - The song that tells the story about the genesis of Rock N' Roll.

15. Whole Lotta Rosie.

16. Rock N' Roll Damnation. - The first song on my favorite AC/DC album, "Powerage".

17. Riff Raff.

18. Sin City.

19. Kicked In The Teeth.

20. Back Seat Confidential. - This demo is an early blueprint of what would become "Beating Around The Bush." While they both sound very similar to each other I like both this demo and the song it turned into.

21. Highway To Hell.

22. Girls Got Rhythm.

23. Beating Around The Bush.

24. Shot Down In Flames.

25. If You Want Blood (You've Got It). - When AC/DC played this live I danced and sang along at the top of my lungs.

26. What Do You Do For Money Honey?

27. Hells Bells.

28. Givin' The Dog A Bone.

29. Shoot To Thrill.

30. Back In Black.

31. You Shook Me All Night Long.

32. Have A Drink On Me.

33. Rock N' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution.

34. For Those About To Rock (We Salute You).

35. I Put The Finger On You.

36. Let's Get It Up.

37. Snowballed.

38. Guns For Hire.

39. Landslide.

40. Shake Your Foundations.

41. Sink The Pink.

42. Who Made Who.

43. Heatseeker. - Very Cool Song.

44. That's The Way I Want To Rock N' Roll.

45. Borrowed Time.

46. Thunderstruck. - One of the greatest guitar riffs ever.

47. Moneytalks.

48. Mistress For Christmas. 

49. Are You Ready?

50. Shot Of Love.

51. Big Gun. - Recorded for the movie "Last Action Hero." Great Soundtrack. Terrible Movie.

52. Hard As A Rock.

53. Stiff Upper Lip.

54. Rock N' Roll Train.

55. War Machine.

56. Anything Goes.

57. Play Ball.

58. Baptism By Fire. - This song just flat out rocks.

Coming Soon: My Life Of Music Obsession: 1996

To read other entries in the "My Life Of Music Obsession" series click here.





No comments:

Post a Comment