Tuesday, April 4, 2017

My Life Of Music Obsession: Stuff I've been listening to.

Wow!

Has it really been almost two months since I've posted an entry in my blog series?

I guess it has. I don't really have an excuse as to why aside from life being busy.

Before I get around to the much awaited 1996 in music entry, I wanted to get something out there because finding the time for putting together playlists and trying to put myself back in 1996 to remember what I listened to at the time takes a lot of work. Then usually after I publish the blog entry there's usually an addendum to each one because other music that I didn't remember at the time of writing will pop into my head. Note to self: Make addendum to 1994 blog to include Eazy E.

I digress.

This entry serves as a guide to what I've been listening to lately. There is not a particular playlist for the entry, but I will provide links to the albums.

1. I really love the new Mastodon album Emperor Of Sand. I just got it on Friday, and it's been on heavy rotation in my car. I've been a fan of this Georgia band for a little over ten years, and they haven't made a bad album in my opinion. To the uninitiated, their style of music is heavy acid rock or heavy stoner rock. They get lumped in the metal category too, and I don't disagree because they do venture there.

The vocals are great, the melodies are great, and I feel I'm being taken on a journey to another world, or Mister Rodgers land of make believe with each song.

Stream The Album: Spotify, Apple Music.  Buy The Album: Amazon.

2.  One of my favorite bands in the world is a band called Punchline. They've been around for about 20 years, and I've been a fan for about 16 of those years. They have an amazing new song called Darkest Dark that features guest vocals by Matt Thiessen from the band Relient K. The latter band had my Album Of The Year pick in 2016. 

This new song by Punchline was made available exclusively to contributors of their kickstarter campaign to make a 20th anniversary netflix special. I think it's the best song they've written yet. You can get it too by making a contribution to the campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/punchline/help-punchline-make-a-netflix-special

Stream The Song: YouTube.

3. This is probably the oldest choice on my list. After reading Larry Livermore's book How To Ruin A Record Label: The Story Of Lookout Records I started listening to a lot of Green Day's older music along with several other bands that were on that label.

One of the Lookout Records bands that I've been enjoying a lot of lately is The Mr. T Experience or MTX for short. I had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing Dr. Frank from the band during my college radio days.

Their 1995 album Love Is Dead is an amazing work of art. I think it's the ultimate Pop Punk album. It always makes me feel instantly happy after listening to it.

Stream The Album: Spotify, Apple Music.  Buy The Album: Amazon.

4. The new album by Drake is solid from start to finish. It's called More Life.

I'm an old school hip hop guy through and through and I feel modern hip hop has been lacking talent, but guys like Drake, Mac Miller, and Big Sean give me hope.

Stream The Album: Spotify. Apple Music.   Buy The Album: Amazon.

5. I bought an album 6 years ago by a band from the U.K. called Turbowolf. It's a shame that I didn't get around to listening to the full album until Yesterday when I was cleaning my shelves, found the CD and decided to throw it in.

I haven't been blown away by hearing anything rock music wise since the first time I heard Guns 'N' Roses. After hearing the 13 songs on the Turbowolf album my jaw dropped to the ground in awe. I found myself thinking why isn't this band a lot bigger? They should have started the next rock revolution. I now feel it's my personal crusade to tell everyone who will listen about this band.

They are darn good. They have two albums out. I haven't heard the second album yet, because I keep listening to the first album.

Stream The Album: Spotify, Apple Music.  Buy The Album: Amazon.

6. Being from the great state of Pennsylvania I'll admit I knew nothing about the city of Scranton, Pa until I watched the American version of The Office. Dunder Mifflin isn't the only great thing to come from that city. In fact there is an amazing rock band called The Menzingers.

I've been listening to this band since 2010. They get better and better with each album. Their lyrics are poetic, and I can wholeheartedly relate to their latest effort After The Party. On it they sing about 20's being over and moving forward in life as an adult. The lyrics are really heartfelt and emotional. I love this band.

Stream The Album: Spotify, Apple Music.   Buy The Album: Amazon.

7. Sometimes I discover music by watching movies. The movie Fist Fight introduced me to the music of Big Sean. 

I love, love, love his latest album I Decided. He's a great talent in hip hop and has a great lyrical flow. I think he's as good as Eminem. The latter makes an appearance on the album.

Stream The Album: Spotify, Apple Music.  Buy The Album: Amazon.

Coming Soon: My Life Of Music Obsession: 1996 (I Promise).

To read other entries in the "My Life Of Music Obsession" series click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment