Monday, December 5, 2016

My Life Of Music Obsession: 1989

...1989 is a year that's giving me writers block when it comes to writing about the music of the year. There definitely were some gems, but at this point music had become dull and boring. I think a lot of people got tired of what was dominating the airwaves and were ready for a change.


This year saw Aerosmith come back in a major way with their 1989 album "Pump." They changed their sound by writing more accessible radio friendly songs, and scored 4 top ten singles. Aerosmith's success with top ten singles continued through the 1990's.

Check Out The Companion Playlist: SpotifyYouTube, iTunes.


On to the playlist...

1. Bobby Brown - My Prerogative.

2. Bobby Brown - Every Little Step I Take.

3. Bobby Brown - On Our Own. - This is still one of my go to favorite songs of the 1980's. This is the theme song for the film "Ghostbusters II." It's a lousy film. Dare I say that I like this song way better than the theme to the first movie? I love the rap part in the song. It's a fine example of a perfect pop song.


4. Bette Midler - Wind Beneath My Wings. - It may surprise some people that I would have this on my list. This song is so iconic, and a good song is a good song. I'm not a Bette Midler fan by any stretch of the imagination, but she does have some great songs in her catalog.


5.Roxette - The Look.


6. Was (Not Was) - Walk The Dinosaur. - This song is so incredibly cheesy and I can't stand to listen to it today, but I'd be lying if I said I didmt enjoy it and sing along to it as a 9 year old.


7. Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy. - This is another one of those songs I enjoyed when it came out but can't stand to listen to it now.


8. Bon Jovi - Lay Your Hands On Me. - This song definitely has some great guitar work.


9. Bon Jovi - Bad Medicine. - I remember the DJ at the local roller skating rink getting angry at me because I would request this song every Friday.


10. Bon Jovi - I'll Be There For You.

11. Madonna - Like A Prayer.

12. Madonna - Express Yourself.

13. Madonna - Cherish.

14. Martika - Toy Soldiers. - Eminem sampled the chorus from this in his hit song " Like Toy Soldiers."


15. Mike and The Mechanics - The Living Years. - I love the kids singing on the chorus in this song.


16. Tone Loc - Wild Thing.

17. Tone Loc - Funky Cold Medina.


18. The B-52's. - Love Shack. - This became a massive hit for this group. I love them but I got tired of this song after it played on MTV and every radio station at least once an hour.


19. The B-52's - Roam. - I still own the 45 to this song. It sounds way more incredible on Vinyl than any other medium.


20. Guns N' Roses - Patience.

21.Guns N' Roses - Mama Kin. - This is a great cover of an Aerosmith song. I remember myself and some friends playing Axl's introduction to this song way more than the actual song itself.


22. Aerosmith - Love In An Elevator.

23. Aerosmith - Janie's Got A Gun.

24. Aerosmith - The Other Side.

25. Aerosmith - What It Takes.

26. Alice Cooper - Poison.

27. Tom Petty - Free Fallin' - This is an iconic song, and you can't mention Tom Petty without bringing up this song.


28. Tom Petty - I Won't Back Down.

29. Tom Petty - Running Down A Dream.

30. Megadeth - No More Mr. Nice Guy. - This cover of the Alice Cooper classic served as my first introduction to Megadeth.


31. The Dudes Of Wrath - Shocker. - The Dudes Of Wrath were a super group that consisted of Paul Stanley, Rudy Sarzo, Vivian Campbell, Desmond Child, Guy Mann-Dude, Tommy Lee, Michael Anthony, and Kane Roberts. They recorded one song for the Wes Craven film "Shocker" and this is it. It's a great song. I wish they would have recorded more.


32. Dangerous Toys - Demon Bell.


33. Dead On - Different Breed - This is a song on the soundtrack to Wes Craven's "Shocker" that I would play on repeat often. These guys sounded so raw and brutal with their thrash/speed metal sound. A few years ago I tracked down a copy of their one and only album. It's sad they never had success because it's a fantastic metal album.


34. Billy Joel - We Didn't Start The Fire.

35. Great White - Once Bitten Twice Shy.

36. Skid Row - 18 And Life. - I love the first two Skid Row albums. They are so great.


37. Skid Row - I Remember You.


Coming Soon...My Life Of Music Obsession: 1990

If you would like to read my other blog entries you can do so by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment