Monday, December 26, 2016

My Life Of Music Obsession: 1992

In 1992 hair metal was on its last legs due to the so called "Grunge" Movement. Only two bands from the hair metal genre continued to thrive in 1992. By 1993 hair metal and anything to do with the 1980's had become pretty much dead.

The second year of the 90's saw the rise of Gangsta Rap as Snoop Doggy Dogg and Dr. Dre stormed upon the scene with their own brand of melodic hip hop that they labeled as "G-Funk." 

Queen landed on the charts in 1992 with their 1975 song "Bohemian Rhapsody" due in large part to the movie "Wayne's World."

Check Out The Companion Playlist: SpotifyYouTube, iTunes.

On to the playlist...

1. Dr. Dre and Snoop Doggy Dogg - Deep Cover. - This song was recorded for the movie "Deep Cover." This became the world's first exposure to Snoop Doggy Dogg who later shortened his name to Snoop Dogg.

2. Dr. Dre - F*** Wit Dre Day.

3. Dr. Dre - Nuthin' But A G Thang. - This song launched Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg into super stardom.

4. Dr. Dre - Let Me Ride. - If you can track it down, the lengthy remix to this featuring George Clinton must be heard. It contains some extra verses by Snoop Dogg and a really cool brass section.

5. Def Leppard - Let's Get Rocked.

6. Def Leppard - Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad?

7. Def Leppard - Tonight. - I think Def Leppard's "Adrenalize" is one of their best albums. It's underrated and overlooked because anything to do with the 1980's was on it's way out due to Grunge. I think it's as amazing as Pyromania or Hysteria. Check It Out. It had five top ten singles.

8. Def Leppard - Make Love Like A Man.

9. Def Leppard - Stand Up (Kick Love Into Motion).

10. Kris Kross - Jump. - This hip hop duo pretty much invented the style that would dominate hip hop fashion for 15 years to follow. They were the first to wear baggy pants that fell below the waist, and shirts that are way too big. 

11. Kris Kross - Warm It Up.

12. Boyz II Men - End Of The Road.

13. Sir Mix A Lot - Baby Got Back. - This song was so popular in 1992 that my parents liked it. You know you have something special if the Baby Boomer population liked it as much as Generation X. 

14. Ice Cube - It Was A Good Day.

15. Eric B & Rakim - What's On Your Mind?

16. Eric B & Rakim - Juice (Know The Ledge).

17. Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - T.R.O.Y. (They Reminisce Over You). - Easily in my top ten hip hop songs of all time. It contains my favorite jazz break beat. 

18. Joe Public - Live And Learn.

19. Silk - Freak Me. - Just the other day me and my best friend were discussing this song. She works in a flower shop and told me a hilarious story involving one of the employees of the flower shop, and a customer having this as the ring tone on his phone. This is one of the best slow jams of the 1990's.

20. Vanessa Williams - Save The Best For Last.

21. TLC - Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg.

22. TLC - Baby, Baby, Baby. 

23. En Vogue - My Lovin' ( You're Never Gonna Get It).

24. En Vogue - Free Your Mind. - This is one of the first songs to stand up against stereotyping. 

25.  En Vogue - Giving Him Something He Can Feel.

26. Tom Cochrane - Life Is A Highway. - I will probably get ridiculed by my fellow music journalists for saying I like this song, but I don't care. It's a song I still enjoy to this day. It's really positive and cheers me up when I hear it.

27. George Michael and Elton John - Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me. - As I was putting this blog together, George Michael sadly passed away on Christmas Day of this year at age 53. I never really liked Wham, and I wasn't much a fan of solo efforts. This is the first song I liked with George Michael and it isn't even his own song. I now feel obligated to check out the Wham and Solo stuff. It just wasn't my thing, but maybe I'll appreciate it a little differently now that I'm older and my tastes have changed so much. 

28. Eric Clapton - Tears In Heaven.

29. Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart. - This is a terrible song that had lots of success. This is one of the first Country songs to crossover to the pop charts too,

30. Shanice - I Love Your Smile. - This song is very catchy. I had a crush on Shanice. I miss the days when it was acceptable to tell someone "I love your smile" and it wasn't taken as cheesy or creepy.

31. CeCe Peniston - Finally.

32. Patty Smyth and Don Henley - Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough.

33. House Of Pain - Jump Around. - One of the greatest hip hop songs of all time. It put Boston on the hip hop map.

34. Bobby Brown - Humpin' Around. - I got tired of this song after five listens. I can't stand to hear it today.

35. Sophie B. Hawkins - Damn! I Wish I Was Your Lover.

36. Toad The Wet Sprocket - All I Want.

37. Arrested Development - People Everyday.

38. Arrested Development - Mr. Wendal. - Their first album is the first CD I bought to go along with the new portable CD player my parents got me. I still have that Panasonic portable CD player and it still works very well. I wish I still had the Arrested Development CD. It was definitely a cool companion to go along with the first CD player I could take on the go with me. I don't think the batteries lasted longer than an hour.

39. Arrested Development - Tennessee. - In my last entry I talked about hip hop artists borrowing heavily from Mixmaster Spade's rap while singing vocal style. This song is a perfect example of that style.

40. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody. - If you don't like this song we can't be friends.

41. Black Sabbath - Time Machine - My first exposure to Sabbath came from this song. Ronnie James Dio's vocals are on point, and the band sounds great.

42. Jimi Hendrix - Foxy Lady. - I heard this song on the Wayne's World Soundtrack.

43.Alice Cooper - Feed My Frankenstein - Alice Co-Wrote this with Zodiac Mindwarp. Alice still plays this live to this day. It's one of my favorite AC songs.

44. Rhino Bucket - Ride With Yourself. - The first of two AC/DC want-to-be bands in this entry.

45. Firehouse - Reach For The Sky. - I loved their first album, but the second album "Hold Your Fire" disappointed me as a fan. To me it didn't sound like much originality or thought went into it. It's as if the record label pushed them to write something that would sell quick and not really stand the test of time. I still think to this day that they are a wonderful band. I just think they suffered the "Sophmore Album Curse" at the worst possible time. If this album had been better they may have had much more success in the 90's.

46. Firehouse - When I Look Into Your Eyes. - The opening keyboard riff sounds borrowed from Journey's "Faithfully." It's a great ballad but lacks in originality.

47. Slaughter - The Wild Life. - I like Slaughter's second album much better than the first one.

48. Slaughter - Days Gone By. - I love the harmonies on this song.

49. Slaughter - Real Love. - I think this is their best song. It was all over the radio in 1992. It's got a great guitar riff too played by the late great Tim Kelly.

50. Beastie Boys - Pass The Mic.

51. Beastie Boys - So What'Cha Want? - The music video for this song is so trippy.

52. Ice Cube feat Das EFX - Check Yo Self (remix).

53. Faith No More - Caffeine. - Faith no More's fourth album "Angel Dust" is extremely experimental and 24 years later still way ahead of it's time. I've heard so many bands try to duplicate their sound on this album but they don't come close. If you listen to the band Incubus's first three albums, they were definitely influenced by Faith No More. If you love music this album should definitely be in your collection.

54. Faith No More - Midlife Crisis. - I sometimes wonder if film director Sam Mendes may have been influenced by this song when he made "American Beauty." Every time I hear this song it makes me think of certain scenes in that film. Maybe I'm just weird.

55. Faith No More - Smaller And Smaller.

56. Faith No More - Everything's Ruined. - This song and music video are both strange.

57. Faith No More - A Small Victory.

58. Faith No More - Be Aggressive. - Faith No More is so hard to categorize musically because I think they borrow a little from each genre.

59. Alice In Chains - Brother.

60. Alice In Chains - Got Me Wrong. - I love the Jerry Cantrell chorus.

61. Alice In Chains - Them Bones.

62. Alice In Chains - Down In A Hole.

63. Alice In Chains - Rooster. - This is usually the first song that's brought up when talking about Alice In Chains.

64. Alice In Chains - Angry Chair.

65. Alice In Chains - Would? - I love the bass line and everything about this song. I would love to have the ability to experience the magic of hearing this again for the first time.

66. White Zombie - Thunderkiss '65. - This song has such an amazing groove to it. Rob Zombie owes Beavis and Butthead creator Mike Judge a huge debt of gratitude. It was the cartoon duo giving their thumbs up to this music video that launched him from underground status to fame and fortune.

67. Bruce Springsteen - Human Touch.

68. Bruce Springsteen - 57 Channels (And Nothin' On).

69. Bad Company - Here Comes Trouble.

70. Blind Melon - Tones Of Home.

71. Blind Melon - No Rain.

72. Jackyl - I Stand Alone. - These guys try a little too hard to be AC/DC. I like them though. Lead singer Jesse James Dupree is one of the best showmen in music. I love the music video for this song. It has the band playing on a flatbed truck in front of a k-mart store. K-Mart refused to carry their album due to a Parental Advisory Sticker.

73. Jackyl - The Lumberjack. - The first and only song with a chainsaw as an instrument that got significant radio airplay.

74. Damn Yankees - Don't Tread On Me.

75. Ugly Kid Joe - Panhandlin' Prince.

76. Ugly Kid Joe - Cats In The Cradle. - This Harry Chapin song also became a big hit for Ugly Kid Joe. I remember UKJ playing this live at one of the first televised MTV Spring Break's.

77. Compton's Most Wanted - Hood Took Me Under. - This song is a look at the harsh reality of being in a street gang.

78. A.L.T. And The Lost Civilization - Tequila.

79. Wreckx-N-Effect - Rump Shaker. 

80. Mary J. Blige - Real Love. - I love Mary J. Blige. I think she's one of the greatest singers of all time. She also shares the same birth date as me.

81. Mary J. Blige featuring Biggie Smalls - Real Love (Remix) - I feel this is important to include on my list because it served as the world's first introduction to Biggie Smalls who would have fame two years later when he changed his name to Notorious B.I.G. and released his first album.

82. Soul Asylum - Somebody To Shove.

83. Soul Asylum - Runaway Train.

84. Vince Neil - You're Invited (But Your Friend Can't Come).

85. Janet Jackson - The Best Things In Life Are Free.

86. Ralph Tresvant - Money Can't Buy You Love.

87. Public Enemy - Get Off My Back. - Flavor Flav's  take on Parliment's "Give Up The Funk."

Coming Soon...My Life Of Music Obsession: 1993.

If you would like to read my other entries you can do so by clicking here.














No comments:

Post a Comment