Tuesday, December 13, 2016

My Life Of Music Obsession: 1991

As I have been gathering playlists for my 1990's blog entries I discover that the playlist becomes more and more massive with each year. This playlist has 112 songs.

As I did my research into the music charts of 1991, I rediscovered a bunch of long forgotten gems like Color Me Badd.

...1991 is the year that Michael Jackson released his album "Dangerous" which spawned 4 number one singles.

...1991 is the year Metallica released their self titled album, and had their first radio hit with "Enter Sandman."

...1991 is the year that Nirvana released their second album "Nevermind" which is credited with killing the glitz, glam, and fashion of the 1980's.

Nirvana are credited with being the Godfathers of "Grunge" music, but I've never liked that term. I've always seen Nirvana as a Punk Rock band, and the term "Grunge" has been used to categorize the sound of any band that came from Seattle, Washington in the 1990's. Bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, The Melvins, and Mudhoney were all identified as "Grunge Rock" just because they were from Seattle. My problem with that labeling is that all these bands sound very different from each other. How can one term be used to categorize the sound of bands that don't even sound similar? The latter is a question I pose to my readers

Check Out The Companion Playlist: SpotifyYouTube, iTunes.

On to the playlist...


1. Michael Jackson - Jam. - I remember the cool music video to this song which featured Michael Jordan.

2. Michael Jackson - Remember The Time. - This is my favorite song on the album "Dangerous."

3. Michael Jackson - Heal The World.

4. Michael Jackson - Black Or White. - Did you know that Slash from the band Guns N' Roses plays guitar on this song?

5. Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy. - I first started DJ'ing school dances in 1991. I remember this song got requested a lot. Yes I was DJ'ing at 11 years old.

6. Jesus Jones - Right Here Right Now. - I still love this song. I like the message in the song too that wherever you are is the place to be.

7. EMF - Unbelievable. - I liked this back in the day, but I can't stand to listen to it now.

8. Color Me Badd - I Wanna Sex You Up. - My parents bought me this album for my 11th birthday. I remember wanting this album and a Pogo Stick. I gave up on the pogo stick after a few falls, but this album and song sure got a lot of usage.

9. Color Me Badd - All 4 Love.

10. Color Me Badd - I Adore Mi Amore.

11. Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You. - Hands down one of the best love songs ever written.

12. Amy Grant - Baby, Baby.

13. Bette Midler - From A Distance.

14. Bonnie Raitt - Something To Talk About. - I got this album as a Christmas present in 1991 from one of my aunt's.

15. Bonnie Raitt - I Can't Make You Love Me. - As I was going through a breakup a few months ago I kept hearing the chorus to this song in my head. "I can't make you love me, if you dont."

16. Boyz II Men - It's So Hard To Say Goodbye. - My first slow dance was to this song.

17. Boyz II Men - Motownphilly - One of my uncle's got me this album for Christmas in 1991.

18. Boyz II Men - Sympin (remix) - Did you know that the very first concert I ever attended was a Boyz II Men concert?

19. Marky Mark And The Funky Bunch - Good Vibrations. - Actor Mark Walberg is a dope rapper.

20. Marky Mark And The Funky Bunch - Wildside.

21. Cathy Dennis - Touch Me (All Night Long). - Cathy Dennis had more success with this song than Wish feat. Fonda Rae had with it in the early 1980's. I had a major crush on Cathy Dennis.

22. Michael Bolton - When A Man Loves A Woman. - Ugggh! Did I really like this song?

23. Divinyls - I Touch Myself. - I urge everyone to check out The Divinyls work prior to 1991. It's so good.

24. Another Bad Creation - Playground. - I think these kids were attempting to be the next New Edition.

25. Another Bad Creation - Iesha.

26. Bryan Adams - Can't Stop This Thing We Started.

27. UB40 - The Way You Do The Things You Do.

28. UB40 - Here I Am.

29. Seal - Crazy. - Long before he had success with his song "Kiss From A Rose" he made some amazing music that should not be overlooked.

30. Seal - Killer. - I wonder if Trent Reznor took notes from Seal before starting work on the Nine Inch Nails album " The Downward Spiral"? I definitely hear a lot of influence.

31. Chris Isaak - Wicked Game.

32. Naughty By Nature - Everything's Gonna Be Alright.

33. Naughty By Nature - Uptown Anthem.

34. Naughty By Nature - O.P.P. - Were You Down with O.P.P.?

35. Salt N' Pepa - Let's Talk About Sex. - I remember this song causing a lot of controversy when it came out due to the A.I.D.S. epidemic.

36. R.E.M. - Losing My Religion. - R.E.M. had some amazing albums in the 1990's.

37. R.E.M. - Shiny Happy People.

38. Van Halen - Poundcake.

39. Van Halen - Runaround. - Van Halen's 1991 album "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" has some of the best songs from their run with Sammy Hagar as their lead vocalist.

40. Van Halen - Right Now. - I remember this song being used in Crystal Pepsi Commercials in 1991.

41. Van Halen - Top Of The World.

42. Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Learning To Fly.

43. Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Into The Great Wide Open.

44. U2 - One. - A great song from my favorite U2 album "Achtung Baby." I got this album for Christmas in 1991.

45. U2 - Mysterious Ways.

46. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit. - I remember this song breaking on MTV in 1991. It made everything I liked up until that time seem really lame. I guess you could say that Nirvana put the bug in my ear that would eventually lead me to liking Punk Rock in my 20's. It only took me 9 more years, and discovering 4 more bands to get me there.

47. Nirvana - In Bloom.

48. Nirvana -Come As You Are.

49. Nirvana - Lithium.

50. Nirvana - Polly.

51. Nirvana - Territorial Pissings. - This song is total punk rock.

52. Nirvana - Something In The Way.

53. Nirvana - Sliver.

54. Guns N' Roses - Live And Let Die. - Guns N' Roses Released 2 albums in 1991 Entitled "Use Your Illusion I" and "Use Your Illusion II."

55. Guns N' Roses - Don't Cry.

56. Guns N' Roses - Double Talkin' Jive.

57. Guns N' Roses - Civil War. - I first heard this song on the b-side of their single "You Could Be Mine."

58. Guns N' Roses - 14 Years.

59. Guns N' Roses - Yesterdays.

60. Guns N' Roses - Knockin' On Heavens Door.

61. Guns N' Roses - Get In The Ring. - This is a great profanity laced anthem directed towards sensational journalists.

62. Guns N' Roses - Estranged.

63. Guns N' Roses - You Could Be Mine. - I remember my parents surprising me one day with this cassette single. This song is featured in the movie "Terminator 2: Judgement Day."

64. Metallica - Enter Sandman. - A lot of old Metallica fans felt Metallica had sold out when they released their self titled album in 1991.

65. Metallica - Sad But True.

66. Metallica - Holier Than Thou.

67. Metallica - The Unforgiven.

68. Metallica - Wherever I May Roam.

69. Metallica - Through The Never.

70. Metallica - Nothing Else Matters. - This ballad has a lot more meaning to me as an adult than it did as an 11 year old. I certainly appreciate the lyrics more.

71. Metallica - Of Wolf And Man.

72. Metallica - My Friend Of Misery.

73. DJ Jazzy Jeff And The Fresh Prince - Ring My Bell.

74. DJ Jazzy Jeff And The Fresh Prince - Summertime.

75. DJ Jazzy Jeff And The Fresh Prince - You Saw My Blinker.

76. Goo Goo Dolls - You Know What I Mean.

77. Goo Goo Dolls - I'm Awake Now.

78. Public Enemy - Shut Em' Down.

79. Geto Boys - Chuckie.

80. Geto Boys - Mind Playing Tricks On Me. - This is the first "Gangsta Rap" song I heard. I love it.

81. Geto Boys - The Other Level.

82. Chubb Rock - Treat Em' Right.

83. P.M. Dawn - Set Adrift On Memory Bliss.

84. Nice And Smooth - Sometimes I Rhyme Slow.

85. DJ Quik - Tonite.

86. DJ Quik - Born And Raised In Compton.

87. Ozzy Osbourne - Mama I'm Coming Home.

88. Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears.

89. Pearl Jam - Even Flow. - The first time I heard Pearl Jam it was love.

90. Pearl Jam - Alive.

91. Pearl Jam - Black.

92. Pearl Jam - Jeremy.

93. Pearl Jam - State Of Love And Trust. - This is my favorite Pearl Jam song. It sounds like a live performance.

94. Pearl Jam - Yellow Ledbetter.

95. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Give It Away.

96. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge.

97. Ugly Kid Joe - Everything About You. - Did you know that the drummer for this band now plays in Godsmack?

98. Mr. Big - To Be With You.

99. Mr. Big - Just Take My Heart.

100. Faith No More - The Perfect Crime.

101. Slaughter - Shout It Out.

102. Megadeth - Go To Hell.

103. Vanilla Ice - Ninja Rap.

104. Roxette - Joyride.

105. Hammer - 2 Legit 2 Quit.

106. Hammer - Addams Groove.

107. Genesis - Jesus He Knows Me.

108. Genesis - I Can't Dance.

109. Skid Row - Monkey Business.

110. Skid Row - Slave To The Grind.

111. Poison - So Tell Me Why.

112. Guns N' Roses - November Rain.


Coming Soon...My Life Of Music Obsession: Old School Hip Hop.

If you would like to read my other blog entries you can do so by clicking here.



No comments:

Post a Comment